MacB in the News
Washington Technology: Turn Off Your TV: What I’ve Learned Teaching Leadership…
MacB President and CEO Sidney E. Fuchs was mentioned in the following Washington Technology story posted on October 17:
Turn Off Your TV: What I’ve learned teaching leadership during the 2016 presidential campaign season
The MBA students in my Leadership class are working professionals, early-mid career. Many of them are discerning the change in their career path I referred to in an earlier column, where one is relied on more for strategic and interpersonal abilities rather than technical and tactical skills.
It is a pretty elevated curriculum – last week we were reviewing author Jim Collin’s concept of “Level 5 Leadership” – leaders characterized by a combination of humility and yet fierce resolve. We’ve spoken often of the importance of character, and how the more one advances in a career the more the source of authority becomes who you are, not what you can do. We’ve spoken of being the chief ethical officer in your organization, of inspiring rather than directing people.
And then the inevitable question comes: “But you know, I was watching the presidential debate last week and…….” Ugh. I thought for a while about trying to rationalize and explain the differences in broadcasted political leadership during campaigns versus the attributes of running a large and complex organization, but it didn’t fly. After all, I am teaching over the semester that leadership, character, and emotional intelligence are inseparable from gaining followers and inspiring performance in an organization or a community – regardless of context.
So now I just hold up my hand and say, “Turn off your TV.” It reminds me of when I used to hear my sons’ football coaches tell them in youth and high school football. “Don’t watch the pros, you’ll learn all the wrong things, just listen to me.”
To read the full story, Click Here.
Lastest News and Events
- ExecutiveBiz: AWS Certifies Enlighten IT Consulting as Cloud Managed Service Provider; Dave Levy Quoted
- Alion Announces Platinum Sponsorship of GTC DC 2018: Bringing Practical Artificial Intelligence Solutions to Government at the Premier GPU Conference
- ExecutiveBiz: Alion to Sponsor GPU Tech Conference; Todd Borkey Quoted
- Enlighten and Alion Experts Presenting New Technologies at Artificial Intelligence Conference
- MacB Wins Spot on $500M HELIOS Contract for the Defense Intelligence Agency